It’s Friday! One more week for until everyone is out of school in my house. I am so looking forward to life slowing down a bit. Today, though, I didn’t slow down and am showing you my favorite finds of the week, including a (surprising!) article on manners about college kids, advice on friendship, three great sales, and an exclusive discount code for one of my husband’s favorite brands!
Favorite Find . . . These Soludos sandals (above) from Saint Bernard are just what I was looking for. Perfect for all my solid color basics this summer (black dress/white dresses/black swimsuits/white tee and jean shorts). They are $99 + free shipping. I wear a nine and the nine fits just fine.
Favorite Thing I Received in The Mail . . . Baby bottles! Y’all I can’t believe I am going back to the baby bottle phase! Thank you to Chicco for sending me this Natural Fit 6-piece starter set. Having had a baby with feeding issues, I’m excited to try this wide neck, slow flow type of bottle.
Best Budget Find . . . Okay this is more of a budget site. If you don’t know about Jane.com, you can find fun and trendy gifts and accessories at really low prices. For example, right now they have light-up fidget spinners for $8, Birkenstock look-a-likes (yes they are back in style but I can’t get on that bandwagon!), and cute kids’ insulated lunch boxes for $15.
New this week. . . Emily Ley’s Academic Simplified Planners launched this week. I ordered the fancy floral!
Article on manners I saved . . .Thanks so much to my friend Lilly for sending this NY Times column about how it’s become quite common for college kids to be disrespectful to their professors. It aligns so closely with my talk on children’s manners that I give to moms groups. You can’t wait around until cotillion time (or God forbid, high school!) to teach children to respect for adults, bosses, and professors. The article doesn’t mention parents’ role in any of this, but I believe that if you don’t expect/require children to be respectful at home with you(starting at a young age) then you certainly can’t expect them to be respectful to other adults. It starts at home!
Favorite Weekend Sales . . .
- Kate Spade sale – So many cute clothes and gifts up to 40% off! Think graduation and teacher gifts and maybe grab this cute chambray dress for yourself! My favorite summer (yellow eyelet) dress is 40% off here and in white here.
- My favorite jean shorts from Anthropologie are 25% off this weekend along with all shorts, tops, sandals and bathing suits!
- Hatch maternity is 25% off. This line is sort of pricey so this sale helps! If you have a pregnant friend or sister, you might want to pass along this chic and comfy line. I am eyeing this top and this dress. I’ve worn this dress on Instagram and it will be on the blog soon. Use code HOPONSUMMER.
- Graco Baby Gear – 20% off + an extra 5% off at Target with code GRACO5.
- johnnie-O – Exclusive to DoSayGive! Use code DoSayGive for 20% off sitewide. This is one of my husband’s favorite brands!
Advice I Gave This Week . . . “Meet her where she is.” I shared this advice someone gave me many years ago. Sometimes we get disappointed by friends or family members for reasons we don’t understand or that don’t seem fair. I used to get my feelings hurt by a friend in which the relationship seemed very one-sided, partially because she was suffering from depression. I was going through a lot of trials at the time as well and wanted to say: “But what I am going through is so much worse and I am still able to call, check in, and ask you to do things.”
Meet her where she is. Instead of focusing on myself and my needs, I started thinking more about her and her needs. (Aren’t all good relationships based on this sense of sacrifice??) I started understanding depression more and realizing it can be debilitating. I also realized that if she couldn’t meet me the level of friendship I wanted, then I was going to meet her where she could be during that time period. It was very freeing to give up those expectations and our friendship kept its sweetness and love.
In case you missed these posts . . .
- Family Summer Essentials (with the Prodoh sun protective clothing above and so many other essentials for camp, pool beach, and backyard fun!)
- 20 Summer Maxi Dresses
- Buying Art for Your Home
Don’t forget to enter . . . My $50 Target Giveaway. It’s just for my readers and all you do is subscribe to DoSayGive emails (which notifies you of new posts, daily finds, and more!). Enter your email address below (and still fill out the form if you’re already a subscriber).
$50 Target Gift Card
Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!