Sharing some of our favorite date night ideas. Plus, my husband makes in appearance wearing his favorite clothing line!
Update: this dress is back in stock in all sizes! (it sold out after a few big fashion bloggers posted about it!). It is gorgeous in person. You may remember my friend wore this to the #rStheCon white party and I had to have it after she told me it was only $68! It comes in coral, too.
My husband is wearing johnnie-O. If you don’t know about this brand, it’s a celebrity fave known for it’s “California prep” style. It has become really popular in Dallas as of late.
My husband is obsessed with johnnie-O’s prep-performance shorts. I think he wore them two or three days on vacation without washing them and they just do not wrinkle. So great for packing on trips, as is his prep-performance button-down (read: wrinkle-free and great for travel!). Both would be great gifts for Father’s Day!
Now to the date night ideas! Here are some of our favorite things to do as well as some that are on our to-do list:
- Saturday afternoon movie/late lunch/happy hour. When our children were really young our favorite date nights were actually date afternoons! Back then I couldn’t stay up past 9pm (sad, I know!) so it was such a treat – and so much more enjoyable – to have a sitter come on a Saturday afternoon. My husband and I would go to a matinee movie then go sit outside at Houston’s or R&D Kitchen for happy hour and appetizers. When we got home the children were either ready for bed or in bed – score!
- Hang at a hotel pool! Oftentimes if you book a spa treatment at a luxury hotel you can use the pool area all day. (Be sure to check!) Many times the spas have their own pool area that is accessible to both men and women, like The Four Seasons Las Colinas which has a bar in the pool area with good food. (Tip: browse Travelzoo for great local deals on luxury spas and five star restaurants!) Another idea is to book a treatment later in the day, hang out by the pool and then use the showers to get ready for dinner at the hotel or somewhere else
- Cooking Class! Check your local farmers’ market, Williams-Sonoma, Sur La Table, Whole Foods, or Central Market. My husbands’ favorite at-home date night is when we put the children to bed and then recreate a gourmet meal he saw on the Cooking Channel. Another fun home date night option: Sur La Table has online cooking classes.
- Tasting/tour at a winery, brewery, or distillery. Something different! Deep Ellum Brewery in Dallas is neat or head up to Pilot Point to Western Son’s Distillery for a fun Saturday afternoon of live music and tastings (you can actually bring children here, too!). We haven’t done this yet, but it’s on our list.
- Cheese tasting. This is right up our alley, especially since most cheese tastings include wine! Scardello Cheese in Dallas has classes at their store and just opened mini “extra credit” classes at their Dallas Farmers Market location that cost just $20 a person.
- See a speaker at a local museum, library, or university. Every so often we try to do something that enriches our tired parent brains. When we lived in Connecticut, the local library had some amazing speakers like Tom Brokaw and famous historians this history nerd enjoyed hearing. The George W. Bush Library here in Dallas and the Dallas Museum of Art often have amazing speakers, too. Many times these types of events have wine beforehand.
- Find a cool rooftop bar. In Dallas, we like the Belmont Hotel or HG SPLY.
- Outdoor concert. In Dallas, check out Kylde Warren and the Arboretum for summer concerts.
- Venture to a different part of town. Change up your date night by trying and seeing something new! My husband and I grew up in a very suburban area so sometimes it’s fun for us (and we would have never thought this 10 years ago!) to drive out to the suburbs and go to a giant stadium seating movie theater or a chain restaurant. Just seeing something we normally don’t see (and knowing we won’t see anyone we know!) is kind of nice.
You can view more of our local favorites in this post. Share your favorite date nights in the comments below. People love reading them!
Thanks to my sweet husband for joining in on this date night post!
Photos: Katrice Howell Photography